Friday, October 9, 2015

Horror Movie Month: Red State

Red State is a 2011 movie written and directed by Kevin Smith and starring Michael Angarano, Kyle Gallner, John Goodman, Michael Parks, Kerry Bishé , Nicholas Braun, Melissa Leo, Kevin Pollack, Stephen Root, Anna Gunn, and Matt Jones. When teenagers Travis (Michael Angarano), Jared (Kyle Gallner), and Billy Ray (Nicholas Braun) go to Cooper's Dell for sex with a woman Jared met online, she drugs them instead of giving them what they came for. They wake up in the Five Points Trinity "church," which is led by homophone/bonafide crazy person Abin Cooper (Michael Parks).

Not much scares me more than Westboro Baptist Church-like hatred and delusion (and in this case the crazies have assault weapons), so Red State is the scariest movie I've ever seen. All of the performances are great, and I like that the movie stars actors from some of my favorite TV shows (Newsradio, Veronica Mars, and Breaking Bad). Michael Parks sure knows how play a villain that might give me nightmares (he was also great as the villain in Kevin Smith's Tusk), and I'd rather be stalked by Michael Myers than spend five minutes with Abin Cooper and his brainwashed family/followers. ; )

My rating: 8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment