Thursday, October 8, 2015

Horror Movie Month: Halloween

Halloween is a 1978 movie directed by John Carpenter and starring Jamie Lee Curtis, Donald Pleasence, P.J. Soles, Nancy Loomis, Nick Castle, Charles Cyphers, Kyle Richards, and Brian Andrews. Fifteen years after being committed to a sanitarium for murdering his older sister, Michael Myers (Nick Castle) escapes and begins a reign of terror in his hometown while his psychiatrist (Donald Pleasence) desperately tries to prevent Michael from killing his younger sister (Jamie Lee Curtis) and her friends. The movie takes place on Halloween, of course, because Michael Myers is a jerk and wants to ruin the best holiday for everyone. ; )

The first time I saw Halloween, I thought it was kind of boring, so I tried watching it again...I didn't think it was as boring this time, but it still couldn't keep my attention as well as some other horror movies (Scream, for example, which never loses my attention even though I've watched it a bunch of times). However, I do think that Jamie Lee Curtis gave a great performance, and John Carpenter's score was really effective in giving the movie a creepy and ominous feel. The fact that Michael Myers stays silent throughout the film somehow makes him seem scarier than villains like Freddy Krueger, Ghostface, etc....though maybe that's because he kind of reminds me of the creepy silent guy who used to stalk me at the library. ; )

My rating: 7/10

Followed by:

Halloween II
Halloween III: Season of the Witch
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later
Halloween: Resurrection
Halloween  (2007 prequel/remake)
Halloween 2 (2009 sequel to the 2007 remake)


No comments:

Post a Comment