Friday, August 16, 2013

Rifftrax Live!: Starship Troopers


Last night I had the pleasure of seeing Rifftrax Live!: Starship Troopers.  For those of you who have never heard of Rifftrax, it's like Mystery Science Theater 3000, but without robots...and it's from the same people (Michael J. Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett), so if you like MST3K, you'll like Rifftrax.  Nelson, Murphy, and Corbett watched and commented on the movie at the Belcourt Theatre in Nashville, Tennessee and beamed it to other movie theaters via a live satellite feed...which is why we missed about ten minutes of the movie when a storm knocked out the satellite reception.  In case any of you haven't seen Starship Troopers, here's a little background info: it came out in 1997, stars Casper Van Dien, Denise Richards, Neil Patrick Harris, and Dina Meyer, and is about humans going to war with aliens. I've watched a bunch of alien movies, and the aliens in Starship Troopers have got to be the grossest ones I've ever seen...most of them are giant bugs, and the big one at the end kind of looks like a butt!  It was a fun movie (though I thought it needed more Neil Patrick Harris and less scenes of people fighting bug aliens) with impressive special effects, and I'll probably watch it again soon since it was hard to hear a lot of the dialogue over the commentary.  The commentary was the reason I paid $12.50 per ticket for a movie I'm pretty sure we already have at home, and it was hilarious...I wish Rifftrax would do one of these in theaters at least once a month because I would go see any movie that's getting the Rifftrax treatment. : )

Movie: 7/10
Rifftrax commentary: 10/10

http://www.rifftrax.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment