Thursday, June 19, 2014

Afterlife with Archie: Escape from Riverdale

I loved Archie comics as a child, and I started reading them again when Archie Marries... was published in 2010.  I love The Married Life series that followed Archie Marries..., and when I heard that Archie would be entering the world of zombies, I was pretty excited.  I don't read many graphic novels, but my favorites are the Archie ones and the graphic novels that are based on Stephen King's The Stand, which are written by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, so when I found out that the same author would be writing Afterlife with Archie, I was even more excited.  Afterlife with Archie: Escape from Riverdale begins with a desperate Jughead Jones begging Sabrina the Teenage Witch and her aunts to help his beloved dog, who has been hit by a car. They do what they can, but tell Jughead that Hot Dog is beyond saving; however, Sabrina feels so bad for Jughead that she agrees to try to bring Hot Dog back to life...and that's when it all goes to hell.

Afterlife with Archie: Escape from Riverdale was hard to put down, and I can't wait to read Afterlife with Archie: Betty R.I.P., which comes out in February (that's so far away!).  This graphic novel is very entertaining, but it is also dark, heartbreaking, and devastating; this is not the Riverdale we grew up with.  I loved Afterlife with Archie, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the story and more of Francesco Francavilla's wonderful, creepy illustrations that perfectly capture the feelings of fear and despair the residents of Riverdale are experiencing.

My rating: 10/10



No comments:

Post a Comment