Friday, June 12, 2015

Movie Spotlight: The Babadook

The Babadook is a 2014 movie starring Essie Davis, Noah Wiseman, Hayley McElhinney, Daniel Henshall, Barbara West, and Ben Winspear.  Amelia Vanek (Essie Davis) is a single mother (her husband died in a car accident while driving her to the hospital to give birth) with an adorable dog and a 6-year-old son named Samuel (Noah Wiseman).  Samuel is pretty much insufferable and wants attention ALL THE TIME; he's also a little creepy and gets creepier after he finds a book called Mister Babadook on his shelf and asks Amelia to read it to him.  The Babadook is a monster that torments people once they're aware of his existence; Samuel thinks the Babadook is real and blames it for the strange things that have been happening around the house.  Amelia rips the disturbing (and completely inappropriate for children) book up, but of course that doesn't solve anything since it happens just thirty minutes into the movie.

I'd heard good things about The Babadook and about how scary it was, but it wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be.  It was an interesting concept for a movie, all of the performances were good, and I did like the ending though.  I do wish that horror movies would stop putting dogs in movies just so horrible things can happen to them...every time I see a dog in a horror movie, I have to go straight to doesthedogdie.com to see whether I'm going to have to fast-forward through part of the movie.  It's getting old...go pick on someone else, horror movies! ; )

My rating: 7/10


No comments:

Post a Comment