Thursday, October 16, 2014

My thoughts on the upcoming Ghostbusters movie

Paul Feig recently announced his plans to make a new Ghostbusters movie starring hilarious women, and as a woman who writes comedy, of course I love the idea.  I seem to be in the minority though, and seeing all of the online comments from people claiming that this movie will ruin the franchise (as well as their childhoods) just makes me roll my eyes.  If you don't like it, don't watch it...the existence of this movie isn't going to take away from the greatness of the original Ghostbusters movies.  Those movies will still be the same movies; they're not going to change at all.  I don't like The Omen remake (The Omen II, III, and IV aren't great either), but that doesn't change my feelings about the original at all, and The Omen is still my favorite horror movie.  And to the guy who said that there's no such thing as hilarious women: you're obnoxious, sexist, and need to watch more comedy.  I can think of a bunch of hilarious women: Sarah Silverman, Tina Fey, Maria Bamford, Amy Poehler, Maya Rudolph, Amy Schumer, Kaitlin Olsen, Kristen Wiig, Wanda Sykes, Julia Louis-Dreyfus (do I need to keep going?).

I'm excited about this movie-I've seen a lot of things that Paul Feig has been involved with (Bridesmaid, The Heat, Freaks and Geeks, The Office, Arrested Development, etc.) and I've enjoyed all of them, so I don't understand why so many people are just assuming the movie is going to be awful (though it's rare to see people actually saying something nice on the internet, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised).  Also, screenwriter Katie Dippold has written for Parks and Recreation, one of the best shows on TV the past few years, and that gives me high hopes for the movie.  Some people are saying that if you're a true fan of Ghostbusters, you can't support the reboot, but that's bullshit.  If you're a fan of Ghostbusters, why wouldn't you want to see more of it...or at least give it a chance instead of bitching about it and saying it will fail the second it's announced?  I'll probably see this movie opening weekend, and maybe I'll even wear my homemade Ghostbusters costume...because despite how most of the whiners on the internet feel, women can be Ghostbusters.

No comments:

Post a Comment