Monday, January 18, 2016

Book Review: The Devil and Winnie Flynn by Micol Ostow

The Devil and Winnie Flynn is a 2015 young adult novel written by Micol Ostow and illustrated by David Ostow. I don't read young adult novels often, but I enjoyed Ostow's Amity, so I decided to give The Devil and Winnie Flynn a try (and I'm glad I did). When Winnie Flynn goes to New Jersey to work as a production assistant on her aunt's reality show, Fantastic, Fearsome, she begins experiencing strange things that make her think the Jersey Devil might not be a myth.

The Devil and Winnie Flynn is mostly told through Winnie's journal entries (which she addresses to her best friend), but also in Fantastic, Fearsome transcripts, which was a really cool way to tell a story. I loved the illustrations too...they really added something extra to the story. The Devil and Winnie Flynn is a great book, even if you're not the typical audience for a young adult novel (I'm 35, and I enjoyed it). I really cared about Winnie and wanted to find out the truth behind her mother's death. I liked the ending and would love to read another book about these characters...and if Fantastic, Fearsome were a real show, I would definitely watch it. : )

My rating: 8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment