Sunday, March 22, 2015

Movie Spotlight: What We Do in the Shadows

What We Do in the Shadows is a 2014 mockumentary about vampires living together in New Zealand, and it stars Jemaine Clement, Taika Waititi, Jonathan Brugh, Ben Fransham, Jackie Van Beek, Cori Gonzalez-Macuer, Stu Rutherford, and Rhys Darby.  I've been a huge fan of Jemaine Clement ever since I saw Flight of the Conchords on HBO's One Night Stand ten years ago (so if anyone's ever wondered why I've had hamsters named Bret, Jemaine, and Murray, now you know why), so I've been excited to see this movie for awhile and was thrilled to find out that it was finally playing in Charleston.  Jemaine co-wrote and co-directed What We Do in the Shadows with Taika Waititi, and what a wonderful movie they've made!  What We Do in the Shadows is, without a doubt, the best vampire movie I've ever seen...every actor was perfect in his or her role, and the movie was hilarious. The scene involving 317-year-old Viago (Waititi) and his female victim is one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and I laugh just thinking about it.  I loved every second of the movie and would've been perfectly happy to stay in the theater and watch it again immediately (my theater didn't have this option though since they're only showing it once a day), so of course I'll be buying What We Do in the Shadows the day it comes out on DVD.

If you live in any of the cities where What We Do in the Shadows is playing, go see it as soon as you can (and take all of your friends with you)...it's a great movie, and I feel bad for anyone who hasn't seen it. : )

http://us.whatwedointheshadows.com/

My rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment