Saturday, April 5, 2014

Movie Spotlight: Vamps

Vamps is a 2012 movie starring Alicia Silverstone, Krysten Ritter, Sigourney Weaver, Todd Barry, Justin Kirk, Richard Lewis, Dan Stevens, Zak Orth, Wallace Shawn, Kristen Johnson, and Malcolm McDowell.  Goody (Silverstone) and Stacy (Ritter) are vampires and best friends living in Manhattan; Goody was turned in the 1840s, while Stacy wasn't turned until the 1990s.  They were both turned by the same vampire (Ciccerus, played by Sigourney Weaver) and refuse to drink human blood, drinking rat blood instead.  Also, Stacy's new boyfriend (Stevens) happens to be the son of Van Helsing, world-famous vampire slayer.

I decided to watch this movie because I've enjoyed Krysten Ritter in everything I've seen her in, and Vamps was no exception (I was also happy to see Todd Barry since he's one of my favorite stand-up comics).  Most vampire movies are dark and serious, but this one was fun and lighthearted in comparison, so it was a nice change of pace.  I prefer funny movies, and I don't think there are enough vampire comedies, so I'm glad I stumbled across this movie.

My rating: 7.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment