Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Book Review: The Demonologist by Gerald Brittle

The Demonologist: The Extraordinary Career of Ed & Lorraine Warren by Gerald Brittle was a Christmas gift from my brother, and it scared the shit out of me (I guess that's my fault for putting it on my Amazon wish list)!  Vera Farmiga read this book in preparation for her role as Lorraine Warren in The Conjuring and said it scared her so much that she refused to read it in her house.  Ed Warren (who died in 2006) was a demonologist, and Lorraine is a medium and clairvoyant; they founded the New England Society for Psychic Research and are best known for their roles in investigating the cases that inspired The Conjuring and The Amityville Horror.  The Demonologist talks about some of the cases Ed and Lorraine have investigated (including Amityville), and if you don't believe in demons, this book will change your mind.  The Warrens have said that before getting involved in investigating a case, they would often experience odd things happening in their home (phone calls where they only heard growling on the other line, footsteps on the porch or stairway, knocks on the front door, noises in Ed's office, vanishing black cats, etc.)...it's almost as if something were trying to scare them off.

All of the cases in this book creeped me out, but the story of the Beckford family is one of the most terrifying things I've ever read...I won't say too much because I don't want to spoil it for people who might want to read the book, so I'll just say that it's proof that you should never ever use a Ouija board (and if you have one and read this story, you will most likely get rid of it immediately).  Even though this book scared me more than any other book I've read, I really enjoyed it and think the Warrens' work is fascinating (however, I don't want to visit their Occult Museum, which is talked about in the book, because I think I would have a hard time sleeping after seeing the things that are in it).  If you're interested in the paranormal at all, you should definitely read The Demonologist...but don't read it too close to bedtime. ; )

My rating: 10/10


No comments:

Post a Comment